Statement on military junta’s airstrikes on civilian population
Date: 11 April 2023
1. Military junta’s fighter jet from TadaU Airport bombed over civilian population in Pazigyi village in Kanbalu Township in Sagaing Region at 7:45 am on 11 April 2023, followed by two rocket and machine gun attacks from one MI 35 from North-Western Command five minutes later.
2. The combined attack killed about 60 civilians including children, women and elders, injuring many others.
3. In recent ariel attacks in Webula in Falam Township in Chin State on 10 April 2023 morning, the military junta killed nine civilians and injuired at least 9. The military junta targetted cilivian population in Kachin, Karenni and Karen States as it is targetting civilians around the country inhumanely and intentionaly.
4. The act constitutes not only violatations Sections 25, 26 and 27 of the 1907 the Hague Convention and Protocol 1 of the Geneva Conventions but also war crimes and crimes against humanity.
5. We would like to express our sorrow for those who were killed in this inhumane attack of the military junta.
6. We condemn the widespread, intentional and systematic killings committed by the military junta across the country.
7. We are committed to bring about justice for the innocent people killed in these attacks and to build federal democratic union which is the aspiration of the people of all national races.
8. We call on international community to take effective actions against the military junta who are commiting such heinous crimes.
Progressive Voice is a participatory rights-based policy research and advocacy organization rooted in civil society, that maintains strong networks and relationships with grassroots organizations and community-based organizations throughout Myanmar. It acts as a bridge to the international community and international policymakers by amplifying voices from the ground, and advocating for a rights-based policy narrative.