UN Secretary-General’s call for a global ceasefire in support of the more significant battle against COVID-19 has gone unheeded. Instead, Myanmar military is inflicting immense suffering on people in Rakhine and Chin State. The fact that while facing genocide case at the International Court of Justice, Myanmar military has intensified attacks on Arakan Army on the order of government is an insult to the international community.
In June 2019, Myanmar government has imposed a ban on internet service in most parts of Rakhine state and Paletwa Township in Chin State. It is apparent that the purpose of communication shut down is to restrict information and to hide war crimes committed by the Myanmar military. Amid all these miseries inflicted by Myanmar military, it is disgraceful that State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has issued a statement praising Myanmar military’s actions in Rakhine and Chin State. Ethnic nationalities have tried to solve the armed conflict which has been plagued the country since the emergence of the Union of Burma in 1948 through political dialogue, but Myanmar military has not agreed until today. Therefore, we earnestly request the United Nations Security Council to take serious consideration to help solve the problem and bring the civil war to an end in Myanmar.
We also urge the Myanmar government and military to:
• Immediately stop attacking, killing, and arresting civilians.
• Immediately lift mobile internet restriction in Rakhine and Chin State.
• Allow aid organizations unrestricted access to internally displaced persons.
• Allow independent international body to investigate the alleged war crimes against humanity and hold perpetrators accountable.
For More Information, please contact
1. Dai Lai Htoo, General Secretary of NAB, USA. Phone: +1 (267) 226-3351
2. Mahn Kyaw Swe, President of CBENO, Canada. Phone: +1 (519) 630-2355
3. Joseph Cha Ru, President of COBEM, Malaysia. Phone: +60 (017) 685-7985
▪ Nationalities Alliance of Burma (USA) is a network of ethnic nationalities organizations based in United States.
▪ Canadian Burma Ethnic Nationalities Organization (CBENO) is an organization made up of Burma ethnic communities and organizations based in Canada.
▪ Coalition of Burma Ethnics, Malaysia (COBEM) is a network organizationmade up of ACR (Chin), ARRC (Arakan), MKO (Karen), MRO (Mon), OKD (Karenni), KRC (Kachin), SRO (Shan) based in Malaysia.