Job Vacancy: Advocacy Officer
|Job Title||Advocacy Officer|
|Report to||Advocacy Director|
|Start Date||March, 2020|
|Contract Duration||Yearly contract (subject to three-month probation)|
|Salary and Benefits||Based on experience and compatible with local rate|
|Job Location||Yangon, Myanmar|
|Application Deadline||3 March, 2020|
Overview of Progressive Voice
Progressive Voice (PV) is a cooperative, collaborative, and participatory rights-based policy research and advocacy organization rooted in civil society, maintaining strong networks and relationships with grassroots organizations and community-based organizations throughout Myanmar. It acts as a bridge to the international community and international policymakers by amplifying voices from the ground, and advocates for a rights-based policy narrative.
PV is seeking a principled and committed human rights professional for the position of an Advocacy Officer. The Advocacy Officer will report to and work under the supervision of the Advocacy Director in devising advocacy priorities and strategies, identifying advocacy opportunities and undertaking lobbying and advocacy directed at influencing key domestic, regional and international stakeholders. The Advocacy Officer will offer inputs on project implementation, work to maintain and develop new networks, liaise with media, carryout policy analysis and write position statements and other written materials for the organization. Together with the Executive Director and the Advocacy Director, the Advocacy Officer will play an active role in representing the organization at events, private briefings and media opportunities. The role requires integrating communication tools into the work. Ability to work with a small, diverse, committed, active and fast-paced team is a must. The candidate must have a strong commitment to, and understanding of, human rights issues in Myanmar and ability to demonstrate sensitivity in working with vulnerable, marginalized and disenfranchised communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Devise advocacy priorities and strategies, identifying advocacy opportunities, and undertake lobbying and advocacy directed at influencing key domestic, regional and international stakeholders including local actors, governments, INGOs and UN human rights bodies and experts;
- Monitor and analyze key developments in relation to human rights in Myanmar and publish timely commentaries on such developments;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key partners and interlocutors, including CSOs, working group members, governments, UN human rights bodies and experts and those working in media such as journalists;
- Actively participate and represent the organization in network meetings and other public events;
- Prepare media advisories, statements, press releases, opinion pieces and other communication materials in coordination with the Media and Communications Officer;
- Work with the Media and Communications Officer to identify opportunities to digitally amplify advocacy materials;
- Regularly liaise with the Media and Communication Officer in order to ensure consistent messaging of PV’s output;
- Prepare briefing notes, talking points, reports, documents and other written materials and contribute to the writing, editing and publishing of PV’s weekly commentary (“Weekly Highlights”);
- Assist the Research Department in undertaking desk and field research in addition to analyzing the data collected;
- Provide translation and interpreting as well as transcribe information in Myanmar and English;
- Undertaking administrative and logistical tasks that are necessary for effective advocacy and operation of PV;
- Assist in the preparation and submission of funding proposals;
- Provide regular reporting to the Advocacy Director with updates regarding the implementation of activities and other information as requested; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV, and two contact details of references in English. Only complete applications will be reviewed. We will not be able to notify all applicants unless they are chosen for an interview. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample. Please email your application to: [email protected] with the subject heading “Application: Advocacy Officer” by (Tuesday) 3 March, 2020. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.