Vacant Position: Media and Communications Officer
MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Media and Communications Officer
Reports to: Advocacy Director
Job location: Mae Sot, Thailand
Salary and Benefits: Local compatible rate will be offered
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Contract Duration: Yearly contract (subject to three month probation)
Overview of Progressive Voice
Progressive Voice (PV) is a cooperative, collaborative, and participatory rights-based policy research and advocacy organization rooted in civil society, maintaining strong networks and relationships with grassroots organizations and community-based organizations throughout Myanmar. It acts as a bridge to the national policy makers, international community and policymakers, amplifying voices from the ground, and advocating for a rights-based policy narrative.
Work closely with the Advocacy Director to maintain internal and external communications with project collaborators in English and Burmese languages, and write, edit, and publish content across various channels, including the website, social media, print, and online platforms, while supporting other departments in producing high quality content.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and implementing communications strategies, campaigns, events and other initiatives in alignment with PV’s organizational strategy and priorities
- Researching, fact-checking, editing and producing media and communication materials, including PV’s Weekly Highlights, for diverse audiences and ensuring their timely dissemination and amplification
- Facilitating communications between the various departments to ensure that the production, editing and distribution of updates and materials is timely and effective
- Providing considered communication advices, including provision of drafting talking points, to project collaborators and senior staff members and offer technical assistance related to communications
- Maintaining up to date knowledge on matters pertaining to human rights and other relevant issues in Myanmar under area of responsibility and provide key news and publication internally and externally
- Maintaining an up to date database for journalists and the media, external project collaborators and other relevant organizational database
- Fielding general requests and inquiries and ensuring their timely response
2. Website and social media
- Maintaining and updating PV’s website and social media accounts with key messaging
- Developing and implementing the creation of high quality multi-media communication materials to be disseminated in a timely manner through PV’s website and social media platforms
- Developing, strengthening and maintaining relationships with journalists and editorial boards in Myanmar and in the region
- Preparing and disseminating press releases, media advisories, opinion pieces as well as other media contents
- Organizing awareness raising and campaign events, briefings and press conferences
- Monitoring media coverage of PV and relevant thematic issues
4. Other tasks as assigned
- University degree or equivalent experience in human rights, communications, journalism, political science, law and other relevant fields;
- Minimum 2 years experience working in the field of human rights or relevant fields with the UN, International organization or civil society organization;
- Excellent speaking, writing, editing and analytical skills in English and Burmese;
- Ability to quickly learn Multimedia skills including basic infographic design, basic video editing skills, and quickly learn design programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator;
- Ability to work with WordPress;
- Strong commitment to human rights issues in Burma/Myanmar;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility in working with the team and local partners;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Proven computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint); and
- Commitment to the approach and values of Progressive Voice.
- Experience in an advocacy, communications or campaign role in a non-profit organization;
- Experience working in or with conflict affected populations; and
- Proficiency in any other ethnic minority language in Myanmar.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV, and two contact details of references in English. Only complete applications will be reviewed. We will not be able to notify all applicants unless they are chosen for an interview. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample. Please email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download this job description in PDF here.