Job Vacancy: Executive Director
Job Title – Executive Director (Local Position)
Report to – Advisory Board
Start Date – Open until filled
Contract Duration – Two-year contract including six months probationary period
Salary and Benefits – Based on experience and compatible with local rate
Job Location – Mae Sot, Thailand with frequent travel to Myanmar and other locations as required
Overview of Progressive Voice
Progressive Voice (PV) is a cooperative, collaborative, and participatory rights-based policy research and advocacy organization rooted in civil society, maintaining strong networks and relationships with grassroots organizations and community-based organizations throughout Myanmar. It acts as a bridge to the international community and international policymakers by amplifying voices from the ground, and advocates for a rights-based policy narrative.
PV is seeking an experienced Myanmar human rights professional who shares the values and principles of PV to further the vision and mission as the Executive Director. The Executive Director is primarily responsible to lead the successful implementation of the strategic direction of the organization. The Executive Director represents PV at public and private platforms, leads organizational development and strategic planning, oversees program delivery and maintains key networks and relationships. This also includes being responsible for the financial health of PV including fundraising strategy, donor outreach and relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Organizational management, strategic planning and program development
- Ensure the implementation of the strategic direction to meet organization’s vision and mission;
- Demonstrate the values and principles of PV through principled and collective leadership and action, and by creating a supportive, open, participatory and committed organizational culture;
- Facilitate and uphold the spirit of collective decision-making on organizational matters and programming;
- Ensure the implementation of the decisions of the Advisory Board and the Management Team;
- Convene strategic and annual planning meetings as well as regular staff meetings;
- Identify the needs of, and strengthening the institutional development of, PV;
- Ensure the effective execution, monitoring and evaluation of the programs to contribute to the effective development of the overall mission of PV;
- Coordinate and engage with all aspects of each department including effective implementation of projects and programs;
- Coordinate with the Research Director and Advocacy Director to ensure effective research and advocacy and approve all final outputs including: content, outreach, dissemination and messaging;
- Ensure overall human resource management and seek out and identify capacity-building opportunities andactivities for all staff in coordination with the Management Team;
- Oversee the implementation of staff recruitment process; and
- Ensure that organizational data is effectively organized and secured.
Financial, budget and office management
- Ensure the financial health of the organization in coordination with the Finance and Administrative Director, including overseeing the compliance with the organization’s financial policies and procedures;
- Ensure grants are managed effectively in accordance with PV’s financial policies and guidelines and donor requirements;
- Approve budget planning, as well as activity and financial reports from each department Directors; and
- Coordinate with the Finance and Administrative Director to oversee the financial health of the organization including compliance with organizational financial policies and procedures.
Fundraising and donor relations
- Manage grants effectively in accordance with donor requirements;
- Lead the fundraising, including developing, implementing, and regularly reviewing fundraising strategies in coordination with the Management Team and in line with PV’s values and principles;
- Develop and submit funding proposals in an effective and timely manner in coordination with the Management Team;
- Prepare and deliver narrative and financial reports to the donors and to the Advisory Board in coordination of the Management Team; and
- Initiate, cultivate and maintain strong relations with potential and current donors in coordination with Finance and Administrative Director in line with fundraising strategies.
Safety, security and risk management
- Ensure safety and security plans are regularly established, implemented, and reviewed, including conducting risk assessments for the overall organization as well as for each project.
- Represent the Management Team; and
- Represent the organization including networking, liaising with, establishing and maintaining relationships with governments, civil society, and other relevant local, regional and international stakeholders.
Liaise with the Advisory Board
- Implement the duties under the policy and management guidance of the Advisory Board
- Liaise with and report to Advisory Board; and
- Convene meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Commitment to the approach and values of PV;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in human rights, development studies, social studies, law or other relevant fields;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience at senior management level working in the field of human rights or development with NGOs or CSOs – including work with local organizations;
- Expert writing and analytical skills in English and Myanmar;
- Strong commitment to, and understanding of, human rights issues in Myanmar;
- Strong networks within Myanmar civil society;
- Ability to work independently and lead and manage a diverse, multicultural team;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines on activities that are time-sensitive;
- Proven experience working with a Board and ability to cultivate existing Board member relations;
- Experience with fundraising and donor relations;
- Demonstrated experience with financial management, budgeting and oversight;
- Strong leadership and people skills including networking and relationship-building;
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and cooperation in working with the team and local partners; and
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proficiency in one or more ethnic national languages in Myanmar would be an advantage;
- Proven computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint);
- Keen understanding of local and international dynamics and sensitivities; and
- Experience engaging with Myanmar Government, Parliament, and other national and international policymakers.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV, and three contact details of references in English. Only complete applications will be reviewed. We will not be able to notify all applicants unless they are chosen for an interview. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample. Please email your application to: [email protected] with the subject heading “Application: Executive Director Position”.