Job Title – Advocacy Officer
Report to – Advocacy Director
Start Date – As soon as possible
Contract Duration – Yearly contract (subject to three-month probation)
Salary and Benefits – Based on experience and compatible with local rate
Application Deadline – Open until filled *This position has been filled.*
Overview of Progressive Voice
Progressive Voice (PV) is a participatory rights-based policy research and advocacy organization rooted in civil society, which maintains strong networks and relationships with grassroots organizations and community-based organizations throughout Myanmar. It acts as a bridge to the international community and international policymakers by amplifying voices from the ground, and advocates for a rights-based engagement and policy on Myanmar.
PV is seeking a principled and committed human rights professional for the position of an Advocacy Officer. The Advocacy Officer will report to and work under the supervision of the Advocacy Director in devising advocacy priorities and strategies, identifying advocacy opportunities and undertaking lobbying and advocacy directed at influencing key domestic, regional and international stakeholders. The Advocacy Officer will offer inputs on project implementation, work to maintain and develop new networks, liaise with media, carry out policy analysis and write position statements and other written materials for the organization. Together with the Executive Director and the Advocacy Director, the Advocacy Officer will play an active role in representing the organization at events, private briefings and media opportunities. The position requires working closely with the local Advocacy Officer and the Media and Communications Officer. Ability to work with a small, diverse, committed, active and fast-paced team is a must. The candidate must have a strong commitment to and a good understanding of human rights issues, as well as the ability to demonstrate sensitivity in working with vulnerable, marginalized and disenfranchised communities. Experiences with international advocacy related to the UN or knowledge of international legal frameworks will be beneficial in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Devise advocacy priorities and strategies, identify advocacy opportunities, and undertake lobbying and advocacy directed at influencing key domestic, regional and international stakeholders, including local actors, governments, INGOs and UN human rights bodies and experts;
- Monitor and analyze key developments in relation to human rights in Myanmar and publish timely commentaries on such developments;
- Monitor and analyze key local and international developments in relation to Myanmar, in particular regarding ASEAN and UN, and identify advocacy opportunities and undertake advocacy efforts;
- Support engagement with UN mechanisms;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key partners and interlocutors, including civil society organizations, governments, UN human rights bodies and experts and those working in media such as journalists;
- Actively participate and represent the organization in network meetings and other public events;
- Draft media advisories, statements, press releases, opinion pieces, letters and other communications materials in coordination with the Advocacy Director and the Media and Communications Officer;
- Work with the Media and Communications Officer to identify opportunities to digitally amplify advocacy materials and ensure consistent messaging of PV’s output;
- Draft briefing notes, talking points, reports, documents and other written materials and contribute to the writing, editing and publishing of PV’s weekly commentary (“Weekly Highlights”);
- Assist the Research Department in undertaking desk and field research in addition to analyzing the data collected when necessary;
- Undertaking administrative and logistical tasks that are necessary for effective advocacy and the operation of PV;
- Support the evaluation of the results and impact of advocacy activities;
- Provide regular reporting to the Advocacy Director with updates regarding the implementation of activities and other information as requested; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Commitment to the approach and values of PV;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in the field of law, journalism, human rights, humanitarianism, or development — must include work with local organizations;
- Excellent speaking, writing and analytical skills in English; proficiency in Burmese or one of the ethnic languages of Myanmar would be an advantage but not a requirement
- Understanding of UN mechanisms and/or international human rights and humanitarian laws;
- Strong commitment to and good understanding of human rights issues in Myanmar and ability to demonstrate sensitivity in working with vulnerable, marginalized and disenfranchised communities;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with people from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, gender and political views;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines on activities that are time-sensitive;
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and cooperation in working with the team and local partners;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; and
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in law, human rights, political science or other relevant fields;
- Keen understanding of local and international dynamics and sensitivities; and
- Experience engaging with UN bodies and mechanisms.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter and a CV in English. Only complete applications will be considered. Due to the number of applications, we will unfortunately not be able to notify all applicants unless they are selected for an interview. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit two unedited writing samples. Successful candidate will be requested to provide contact details of two references in English.
Please email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Application: Advocacy Officer.” This application is open until filled. *This position has been filled.* Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Download Job Description in PDF